2009/12 – Near Miss

The library started staying open till 2:00 a.m. this week.  It’s been a busy few days, since our employer asked us to "front-load" our work week to finish our scanning by Thursday at noon (he later changed it to Friday noon).  Besides that, I wrote some short papers for my grammar class and historical linguistics class (on Mongolian and Korean, finally).  They turned out fair.
School’s almost over.  I have a bit of stuff left to finish.
Yesternight a young man from my Vietnamese class, Ken, came and discussed his Libertarianist military isolationism with me.  He then offered me a ride home.  As we walked to his car, we had just passed the law school on the north when I was surprised by a large figure coming up from behind and passing us on the left, some yards away.  It was a buck deer with a fairly nice-looking set of horns, bounding up the campus road in the direction of the Y.  I messed around with my camera case, but it was already too far away.
I had a great time in grammar class today.  It’s a terrifically interesting class.  At the end, I felt validated to have been able to persuade (or remind) the teacher that "whither" and "whence" were opposites.  He had gotten the first mixed up, a rare error for that intellect… Don Chapman.
Besides that, I’d walked out of my linguistics class halfway, before the grammar class.  That introductory class always makes me angry — not the teacher at all, Alan Manning, who is bright, but the very much dimmer students, one in particular that constantly snorts like a pig at every clever comment the teacher makes and uses questions as a pretense to tell her life story, and another that always interrupts with terribly irrelevant and occasionally wrong trivia to drag attention to himself.  The class ruins my each and every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  But I felt much better after leaving today.
I dined at the Cannon Center today, and the front desk worker was kind to me.  A stream of Chinese people, about 16 (three guys), came in as I was sitting there.  Some of them sat near me, and I talked to them; two were from Shanghai and two from elsewhere.  They had one Gwongjau lady in their company, who was brought over to speak me some Cantonese.  She told me they were all dance teachers and were here for two weeks for a conference.  It was nice to have them here.  Mostly they were a bit older, but the Cantonese one was prettyish.  She asked me if I were going to the "Singdaan maanwui", a Christmas show…  I knew nothing about it.  (I checked the performing arts building later; it was $11 dollars and sold out anyway.)
I went back to the library, and… there was Song Min-hye, the strangely cute Korean in my historical linguistics class (who never attends).  I went the other direction at first but then came back and talked to her.  She was chatting with Kim Hayang, a sister I’d once asked for some information about Cyworld.
Sister Song explained something or other to me, mentioning a "dongsaeng" (sibling), and then, taking out her phone… asked for my contact number. ><
I was shocked and almost a bit offended, but tried to not show it.  It was very forward.  Almost no one has asked me that.
But, she’s Song Min-hye…
Anyway, Song Min-hye or not, I didn’t have a phone, which I told her.  I hope she believed me and didn’t think I just didn’t want to give her my number.  Soon, anyway, she was talking on her phone; I said some things to Sister Kim and then left.
I felt pretty fine after that…  I guess that was my one chance to be friends with Song Min-hye, and I brushed it right aside like it was nothing.  Well, anyway, I’ll always have the memory of her asking me that.  That was wonderfully thoughtful of her.  We’ve only talked three times or so, but each time she acted like she wanted to talk.  I like her, and would like her much more.  I’m sure I’ll never see her again, with that class ending.
After that, I took the bus down to Springville for my belated second visit to my cousins, the Jays.  I had a nice several hours there.  Jill drove me back just now.  I’d hoped to do some work, but the hour I had left is almost over already.  There were only 16 people here in the monkey cage (now, only three or so), and for the first time I’ve ever seen, the place has been almost perfectly still…
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s